Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Life Before Kids

I've often thought about things my husband and I didn't do before we had kids. We all have those lists: take a road trip together, travel more, save money, etc.

We visited my sister-in-law and her husband over the summer in Omaha and I was green w/ jealousy most of the time. They live in an apartment in downtown Omaha. They live on the top floor above a bakery. We walked around most of the area which included a farmer's market, numerous shops and restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, etc. Their apartment also had floor to ceiling windows all around their living/dining room.

The whole time we were there I couldn't help but marvel at the simpleness of their lives and all the options they had to do things. The farmer's market was just a block away! You could hear the night life happening right outside their windows. (Granted some nights it was a little loud, but still it created an awesome atmosphere.)

They had leather furniture, not my taste, but they had the option! With kids that's not exactly the friendliest of fabrics. My sister-in-law is big into home decor (sometimes I don't understand her vision) so there are always a lot of decorative items by the TV or sitting on the bookshelf. Now that it's Christmas time I'm sure their apartment looks like a department store window display.

I couldn't help but be jealous of all they had at their disposal. Not only the variety of venues for food, shopping, and entertainment, but the freedom to do nothing all day if they chose to, to take off on a weekend trip at the last minute, or simply to talk to each other w/o interruptions. Some days I wish I could trade lives w/ them, and others I feel so lucky I have what I do.

Who wouldn't want to spend a weekend in the LBK (Life Before Kids) phase?

No comments:

Post a Comment