Monday, October 13, 2014

I Wish my Kid Rode the Bus

This summer before C started kindergarten he was dying to ride the bus. He asked me over and over if he could ride the bus to school. When I told him no he wanted to know why. 

I explained that he was lucky his Mom stayed home and it was my job to take him to and from school. Not to mention it would cost his dad and me $75 a semester to ride the bus which was less than a mile from our house. 

Now that Hubby has his new job and will be traveling the majority of every month we've been talking about what things could come up w/ the house I would need help with if he was gone. We talked about the usual things: heating/cooling trouble, water heater, plumbing, etc. 

One thing I hadn't thought about was shoveling the driveway. I'm capable of doing it myself (it might take awhile), but I would have to get up super early and leave the kids in the house alone. We have 2 high school boys that live across the street but they're not exactly overachievers. 

This morning it was overcast, raining, and the wind was blowing like crazy. Not ideal weather to walk the 2 blocks we usually walk. (We park at a friends house and walk w/ them.) Especially w/ 2 little girls. 

So I used the dreaded drop off lane. Because of the weather every other parent was doing the same thing so the process took longer than usual. Same thing at pick up. Some parents "camp out" in the drive as early as an hour before school is dismissed. I parked across the street, left the girls in the car and walked to the school. The line to get in the pick up lane stretched out to the street. 

I'm not a fan of rain and snow. With the weather changing and Hubby traveling so much, I may be looking at ways to make extra money. Like $75? 

No comments:

Post a Comment