Thursday, September 18, 2014

Showing Skin Around your Kids

I had an earlier post about privacy in the bathroom and I want to bring up a similar topic: Nudity in front of your children: At what age do you stop? 

I usually come out of the bathroom after my shower wearing my bra and underwear. If I happen to be naked and hear my children coming down the hall, I pull my shirt on really fast or grab my towel. 

A friend and I have been taking an aquatics class at our local Y every Wed. evening. When Hubby comes home I'm usually in a hurry to change and get out the door. One Wed. night I'm changing in the bedroom and Hubby comes back to get "instructions" so to speak. Of course, the kids are close behind him. I'm naked, putting on my swimsuit, and the kids are jumping all around the room. 

Later Hubby asked me when I was going to stop undressing in front of our 5 year old son. I was quick to point out I was alone in the room when I started changing, the kids followed him back to the bedroom. 

And what did he mean by naked? Completely naked? Bra and pants? Bra and underwear? There's a number of combinations he could be talking about. 

My kids see me nursing Baby C every day. My son doesn't ask questions or stare. My daughter thinks the baby is eating from my tummy. And I'm not going to correct her. :) 

I don't really want to be reduced to changing in my bathroom, and I certainly don't want to give my girls a complex over body image if I'm constantly hiding while changing. It's no secret I'm insecure about my body (who is?), but I'm not going to complain in front of my kids. I want them to be more self confident than I am/was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment